A couple of nights ago I had a very hard time falling asleep. Seems this occurs mostly when I have a bunch of "stuff" on my mind. Usually it's items that I'm trying to help God solve....you know, in case He needs my help. As I watch the clock go from 1 to 2 to 3:00 a.m. it's with great trepidation I pray that God will take over the situation and allow my eyes to close. And it's only at that point my mind will slowly fade into a resting mode.
I have noticed that other women have a similar situation with sleep patterns. Maybe the frequency of these occurrences are enhanced by age, but I think it would benefit each of us to lay those burdens and concerns down. How is that possible, you might ask? After all, how many of us go to bed with the intention of tossing and turning half the night? My suggestion, and that is all it is, pause. Just simply give yourself permission to pause from the worries, concerns and burdens that you probably are not going to solve regardless of how many sleepless nights you encounter.
So, here's a few ideas that might lighten the load;
1. Go to lunch with a friend(s).
2. Go golfing, play a game of tennis, or dig in the garden.
3. Take a walk on a trail or bike.
4. Pick up a book and read.
5. If you still have children at home, go outside, hook up the garden hose and start spraying everyone in sight. (Be ready to have it done to you!)
6. Forget about who in your life isn't doing what you want them to do. Chances are your concern can either be shared, maybe changing the behavior, or you simply need to let go and let God. Why continue to fret?
Thus ends the words of wisdom for today. This stems from the fact I just enjoyed lunch with two friends I don't get to see and visit with very often. Both are Christians and we have so much in common including a bunch of concerns. We left our luncheon feeling rejuvenated and those particular matters we brought with us weren't even solved. The load is so much lighter when we place it where it belongs...in the Hands of God!